Assistant General Counsel
Birmingham, West Midlands
Kind Consultancy is working with a fast-growing challenger bank which is currently seeking an Assistant General Counsel to join their Legal team in a hybrid role requiring fortnightly in-office days in their West Midlands offices. The Assistant General Counsel is responsible for advising on customer and third-party arrangements, supporting internal stakeholders on a wide variety of contract and engagement related issues and advising on legal matters ranging from Commercial Contracts, Employment, Privacy, Corporate, and Tax.
Reporting to the General Counsel, the Assistant General Counsel's key responsibilities will include:
- Preparing, reviewing, and negotiating commercial contracts (e.g., service agreements and confidentiality agreements) and advising on customer and/or third-party arrangements
- Supporting the Bank on a wide variety of contract and engagement related legal issues in collaboration with or under the direction of the General Counsel
- Advising on all legal matters, addressing potential legal, professional, or reputational risks to the Bank in a forward-thinking manner
- Collaborating with team members to develop more effective and efficient ways to review and negotiate complex agreements or address new issues (e.g., master consulting agreements)
- Developing and maintaining standard form contracts and related documents
- Continuous implementation, review and update of applicable policies in our risk and compliance frameworks
- Supporting general legal matters – typically commercial contracts or employment issues
- Work with other members of the Bank on projects in support of broader initiatives
- Provide training across the organisation on legal matters and compliance.
Our ideal candidate for the Assistant General Counsel opportunity:
- Is a qualified solicitor or barrister with 1-3 years PQE
- Can influence, engage and advise across departments.
- Is an energetic, self-starter attitude with the ability to work with limited oversight.
- Has good knowledge of banking products and direct experience of the Corporate Banking sector with a preference for recent experience in the ‘challenger’ sector.
- has commercial common sense, product knowledge and technology experience, ideally with some regulatory experience.
- Has a good understanding of privacy/employment legislation.
- Demonstrates excellent communication and analytical skills.
If you have the necessary knowledge, skills and experience and are interested in the Assistant General Counsel role, please apply with an updated CV today.